In the older versions of Magento, it would just show you the error, but now for security reasons it hides them in the /errors folder which is nasty for developers to track where the problem is located and work through it!
Here is a known error which can occur when installing Magento:
There has been an error processing your request Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons. Error log record number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Here is the solution:
1. Navigate to the “errors” folder.
2. Change local.xml.sample to local.xml
3. You should now see a new list of crazy errors all over the Magento page – this is okay.
4. Open magento/lib/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php and look for:
protected $_options = array( 'cache_dir' => 'null',
5. Change it to:
protected $_options = array( 'cache_dir' => 'tmp/',
6. Save it.
7. Now the final step is to go create a tmp folder in the root Magento folder.
8. That’s it!
I guess this doesn’t exactly solve the problem, it’s not just one problem any way but this solution kind of reveals the source of the problem so that it can be easier to be fixed.
I hope this post has helped someone save time and efforts struggling with it, share it on if you liked it and don’t hesitate to drop me a line of comments if you need any help.